Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Brussels

Last Thursday I was able to spend the day in Brussels. It is such a fascinating city with plenty of historic buildings. All the exchange students toured the Royal Palace and the Federal Parliament. There were so many of us! I love getting the chance to meet people from other countries and sharing this wonderful year abroad with them.

For lunch, we went to a restaurant where they served us meatballs and fries (frites). It was yummy, but my host mom made frites the other night for dinner and they were much better :) Francoise is an amazing cook! Speaking of food, Francoise wants me to cook dinner soon so I can share how I eat in America. If anyone has suggestions of "American" food, please email me recipes at car.fisher12@gmail.com. Merci!

On Monday, I spent the day in Namur with Camille and Helene. Namur is the capital of the Namur province of Belgium. I saw the Namur Citadel, Theater, and even went into a bar! A few of Camille's friends were there so we went to say hi. They ordered beers while we chatted for a bit. It was crazy sitting with three 16 year old boys who were able to drink beer! Camille, Helene, and I chose not to drink anything. I would much rather save my calories for chocolate ;)

Oh and while we were shopping in Namur, we went to a store that sells Abercrombie and Hollister clothes. I saw the same Hollister sweatshirt that I bought in California a couple months ago on clearance for 30 or 40 dollars. However, here the sweatshirt was 99 euros!! I couldn't believe it.

I went to my school yesterday to choose my classes and get a short tour. It is beautiful!! I'm actually excited to start school on Monday :) It was built in the 1780's as a castle, and now it is a school with about 2,000 students and there's even a church! It sure is a change from my high school in California which was very modern. I will be taking Religion, French, History, Geography, P.E., English, Math, Science, and Social Science. Wow.

Okay well I'm going to go practice my French :) Au revoir!

Namur--my home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment