Sunday, August 21, 2011

I'm here! I'm here!

Hello everyone! I made it safely to Belgium! I arrived on Friday afternoon at the Brussels airport and found my host family because they were holding a sign for me. It was such a great feeling to know that I finally made it...and I can officially start my Belgian adventure :)

After about an hour drive we made it to the house. It's very cute and made out of brick. The oldest daughter is on an exchange to Pennsylvania for the year so I get her bedroom. There is a window that overlooks the garden. I love it that they have a garden...it's pretty to look at and they grow vegetables for us to eat. Yesterday, the sun was shining so we were able to eat our lunch outside. Speaking of lunch, I love the food! It's fresh and delicious, and the bread seriously smells so good.

My host family is nice, and there are two daughters who are very sweet :) Helene, who will be 12 on August 31st, and Camille who is 16. They love the Hollister and Abercrombie sweatshirts I gave them as gifts :) I'm so happy to be living in a house with host sisters!

Yesterday, I went to the administration building with my host mom and Helene, and then I made crepes with Helene. It was my first time but I was actually pretty good at it :) Around 5 we went to visit my host dad's parents. We sat outside by the garden and ate little waffles and drank iced tea and water. At 7, we went to a birthday party for a couple that is friends with my host parents. From 7 to 10 it was a cocktail hour so there were people walking around serving drinks and appetizers. Then, around 10, we ate! Not used to that! We left around 12:30 and came home. I was very tired and looking forward to my bed :)

Now, I'm sitting downstairs while my host mom sets the table for breakfast. The two girls are still sleeping. My host mom told me she doesn't want me to use my computer in my room because she doesn't want me to be alone so much and get homesick. I'm fine with that though :) It seems like the more time I'm on facebook, the harder it is for me to speak French. For right now, I need to be perfecting my French :)

Speaking about the language, my host family doesn't exactly know too much English but I can understand almost everything they say to me. It's just hard to reply...but I met the Rotarian in my hosting club and he said he will get me a tutor :) Thank goodness!

Well, it's almost time for breakfast. Then, we are leaving for a little vacation in the Ardenne region. We are staying in a cottage. I can't wait!!!

I will try to post a blog next week and maybe some pictures! I hope all is well in California :)

Au revoir,
Carly

Crepe making :D

3 comments:

  1. Salut Carly! Comment ca va? Quel le temps au Belges? Il fait beau? Il fait chaud ici.


    a bientot,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it safely, Carly. Sounds like your Belgian adventure is off to a great start. Your host family sounds wonderful. They are going to love you! Look forward to reading your blog.
    :) Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Liz!!
    Nancy, ca va bien. Oui, il fait beau. C'est environ 70 degres Fahrenheit. :)

    ReplyDelete